Augmented and Alternative Communication (AAC) apps for adults can be used for varied reasons from a temporary disability to a permanent one. Using a device or AAC app for nonverbal communication gives the user freedom to express him/herself where otherwise they may have not been able to do. The app can be helpful for family members, caregivers, or medical personnel (speech pathologists, occupational therapists, etc) trying to communicate with someone using the app.
If you work with or know adults with speech impairments, it is important to know and understand how to use the tools necessary to communicate; there are many AAC apps that people can use. Here are 5 useful AAC apps for nonverbal communication that anyone can access and use.
TouchChat is a symbol and text-based AAC tool available for both iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad. Visit the TouchChat site for full information about the different versions of TouchChat.
- Access to SymbolStix library, and easily add your own photos.
- A LITE version (without the speech) feature is available to try the app out.
- Pre-programmed, fully customizable vocabulary sets are available.
- High-quality text-to-speech voices.
- Share text in message window via email, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and text message or even copy and paste into other applications.
Proloquo2Go lets people to talk using symbols or text in a natural-sounding text-to-speech. It is a customizable AAC solution.
- Access to 14,000 symbols and easily add your own photos.
- Pre-programmed vocabulary sets (Research-based : core word and basic communication) which is fully customizable.
- Share text in message window via email, Facebook, Twitter, and text message, or even copy and paste into other applications.
3. QuickTalk AAC
With Quick Talk, our AAC communication app, you can go anywhere with your child, friend, or client, easily take out your phone or tablet, and communicate at the speed of life.
- Easy to navigate, quick access to Yes/No, 11,000 Symblstix images.
- Easy setup, create profile and start using within minutes. Add buttons before new event or on the go.
- Navigate to speech buttons in 1-2 clicks.
- High quality text to speech or use your own voice.
- Typing mode.
4. iCommunicate for iPad
iCommunicate is a visual and text AAC app as well as task completion and audio visual prompting
- Allows you to create pictures, flashcards, storyboards, routines, visual schedules and record custom audio in any language.
- Comes preloaded with 10,000 Symblstix pictures.
- Can insert Google images, printable storyboards.
Sonoflex is a symbol and text based AAC system designed for both iPad and iPod touch. Also available on Android.
- A LITE version is available to try the app out.
- Core vocabulary set provided, with some context/topic based boards also included.
- High-quality text-to-speech voices (US English).
- Fully customizable buttons, grids and folders.